總網頁瀏覽量

2010年12月4日 星期六

Exquisite Insults

Without realizing it, I suddenly realize it's Saturday! Finally. Time for some fun. But I had an extraordinarily busy week and I did not have enough sleep. So I feel very grumpy. I feel like screaming. So I'll choose some jokes which match my black mood. I'm lucky, as always. I found some words which sting in exquisite style. If you feel like insulting someone, take your pick. It's venom, but sugarcoated with wit. So here they come.


 


He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.                         --Winston Churchchill


 


I have never killed a man. But I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.      --Clarence Darrow


 


Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?


          --Ernest Hemingway about William Faulkner


 


I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.                                    --Groucho Marx


 


I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approve of it.                  --Mark Twain


 


He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends                            --Oscar Wilde


 


I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend...if you have one.


       --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill


Cannot possibly attend the first night; will attend the second, if there is one


           --Winston Churchill to George Bernard Shaw


 


I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here.                         --Robert Redford


 


They never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge


                                        --Thomas Brackett Reed


 


He inherited some good instincts from his Quaker forbears, but by diligent hard work, he overcame them.   


                --James Reston ( about Richard Nixon)


 


In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily                 --Count Charles Talleyrand


 


He loves nature in spite of what it did to him.


                                                 --Forest Tucker


 


He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any one I know.            --Abraham Lincoln


 


His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork.                              --Mae West


 


He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts--for support rather than illumintion.  


                                             --Andrew Lang


 


He has Van Gogh's ear for music.  --Billy Wilder


 


Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.                           


                                                      --Oscar Wilde


 


A modest little person, with much to be modest about.


                                     --Winston Churchchill


 


Strangely, by the time I'm done transcribing these lines, an overwhelming peace has returned to my heart. The power of catharsis by words!            


6 則留言:

  1.  
    love all these esp. the dialogue btn Shaw & Churchchill
    thanks Elzorro.  thank you so much!

    回覆刪除
  2. What caustic gibes! Yes, if words can kill, many people would have died a thousand deaths.
    I heard that in Japan , there is what they called the “self-conditioning room” where grumpy office workers can go after a hard day’s work. The room is full of effigies of different sizes: fat, lean, tall, short, male, female, etc. People can put labels of their bosses’ names onto any effigy they fancy and then beat it up for as long and hard as they want. After a good round of thrashing and all grievances vented, they leave with the greatest peace of mind and call it a day. By comparison, Elzorro is much gentler to all his blog friends.  

    回覆刪除
  3. "Delicate Human degradation speech annihilates...   Human exterminates each other against their natural will,    Degradation of human order and morality non-stop,'     Speech , humorous jokes, and sarcasm replace the terminator of insults,      Annihilates the whole and the extension of kind-hearted mankind..."  Good evening, my dear old friend !  Your humor has been upgraded!!! 

    回覆刪除
  4. oh poor Elzorro, time flies week by week, good luck and take care.
    [版主回覆12/05/2010 07:30:00]Yes time flies when there're lots of work. I envy your trips.

    回覆刪除
  5. Thanks very much for the witty quotes! Hope your busy week has eventually turned into something fruitful.  Will be my busy week too this coming week!
     
     
    [版主回覆12/05/2010 07:32:00]Yes it terminated last night in a wonderful concert which I will write about. Yes, it's not easy making a living and writing at the same time.

    回覆刪除
  6. Like what winston churchill had to say in return to Bernard Shaw's invitation. I could imagine Robert Redford saying his line in an Oscar presentation. 
    [版主回覆12/05/2010 20:50:00]They're really good. We must learn to keep our cool if we wish to do good repartées.

    回覆刪除