總網頁瀏覽量

2010年12月29日 星期三

Music in the eyes of Khalil Gibran

Music has become an absolutely essential part of my life. I cannot think of any day in which I do not hear some form of music. Music to me is the art that mimicks the movement of our emotions most directly. Although music may have been developed as an adjunct to religious worship as witnessed the practices of the most primitive peoples, it has subsequently become an art engaged in for its own sake because of the pleasure it gave to our ears. I cannot think of any dance without music. Music provides the rhythm and builds up the mood for the dance. Imagine a movie without music and you will realize how often, without explicitly drawing attention to itself, it helps to colour the emotional tone of what is being shown on the screen whether it be joy, sorrow, regrets, nostalgia, reminiscence, fear, anxiety, despair, excitement, exhilaration etc, Not only is there classical music, there are also pop music, jazz, folk music, dance music, religious music, military music etc. 


Khalil Gibran's very first book in Arab, Al-Musiqah, published in 1905, was about music. So I imagine that he must know this subject most intimately. Therefore, I am interested in what he has to say about this art form so close to my own heart. Imagine my delight when, whilst reading through The Prophet during the holidays, I found two pages specially devoted to this subject. Let the poet speak for himself:


Music is the quivering of a string, charged with waves from the upper air, it penetrates your hearing, its echo emerges from your eyes in a burning tear, and from your lips as they sigh for a beloved being far away, or it utters a moan caused by the string of history and the fangs of destiny.


And it can happen that the notes of music are reflected on your lips in a smile of fulfillment.


Music is a houri in the paradise of the gods, who was in love with the sons of Adam. Then she came down to earth and told them of her love. The gods, in a fury, ordered a terrible wind to rush after her in pursuit.


In this way she was scattered through the air and disseminated to all the corners of the earth. She did not die, she still lives in the ears of humans.


Music is the echo of the first kiss bestowed by Adam on the lips of Eve. And ever since then this echo has caused pleasure to rebound onto fingers as they play and ears as they listen.


Through the eyes of hearing I was able to see the heart of love.


Music is the language of the spirit. Its melody is like a playful breeze which makes the strings vibrate with love.


When the fairy fingers of music touch the doorway of feelings they awake memories enclosed in the depths of the past.


O divine Music! We lay our hearts and our souls closely within you. You teach us to see with our ears, and to listen with our hearts.


In his first book, Al- Musiqah this is part of what he wrote:


I sat by one whom my heart loves, and I listened to her words.
My soul began to wander in the infinite spaces where the
universe appeared like a dream, and the body like a narrow
prison.



The enchanting voice of my Beloved entered my heart.
This is Music, oh friends, for I heard her through the sighs of
the one I loved, and through the words, half-uttered
between her lips.



With the eyes of my hearing I saw my Beloved’s heart.
My friends: Music is the language of spirits. Its melody is like
the frolicsome breeze that makes the strings quiver with
love. When the gentle fingers of Music knock at the door
of our feelings, they awaken memories that have long lain
hidden in the depths of the Past. The sad strains of Music
bring us mournful recollections; and her quiet strains bring
us joyful memories. The sound of strings makes us weep at
the departure of a dear one, or makes us smile at the peace
God has bestowed upon us.



The soul of Music is of the Spirit, and her mind is of the
Heart.

When God created Man, he gave him Music as a language
different from all other languages. And early man sang her
glory in the wilderness; and she drew the hearts of kings
and moved them from their thrones.



Our souls are like tender flowers at the mercy of the winds of
Destiny. They tremble in the morning breeze, and bend
their heads under the falling dews of heaven.



The song of the bird awakens Man from his slumber and
invites him to join in the psalms of glory to Eternal
Wisdom that has created the song of the bird.



Such music makes us ask ourselves the meaning of the mysteries
contained in ancient books.
                                                                     (Translated by A R Ferris)


From the passages above, it is evident that for Gibran, music is always related to history, memories, to heaven,  to the gods, to worship, to the heart, to feelings and to love!.


3 則留言:

  1. Let there be music ...
     
     


    [版主回覆12/29/2010 13:12:00]Dear Friend, you really know me, sea, waves, sky, clouds, music and your poems by one of my favourite poets now. Nothing soothes my soul more than these. I ask for little more from a friend. The Canon in D  from Pachabel is one of his best. Thank you so much!
    May you have a day as beautiful as the music!

    回覆刪除
  2. If music be the food of love,
    Play on, give me excess of it!
    [版主回覆12/29/2010 13:13:00]Yes, how we long to have excess of love! And hence excess of music!

    回覆刪除
  3. elzorrro. . . 撐多3 日 .新年快樂 2011 
    [版主回覆12/29/2010 13:15:00]Life is tough! May Gibran's writings and SuperBro.'s video and music give solace to your exhausted soul too as it has mine!

    回覆刪除