總網頁瀏覽量

2012年12月4日 星期二

Camellias (山茶花)

It's a really wonderful experience to walk upon a mountain full of camellias after the rain. As far as the eyes can see, there are white camellias, camellias and camellias dotting the dewy deep green of the hillside, sparkling like so many little stars.




I like the drops of rain upon their petals,



or embroidering their edges.


I like the bean like tips of their stamina



like so many heads of the bean sprout.


I like the way they stick so close together and yet not getting into each others' way.


They stick their heads out in so many different directions,



Some upwards,



Others sideways.



And their sepals like to form themselves into a different kind of flower,  with its own shape and color.



They usually grow all by themselves but there can be exceptions too, like these two who seem quite happy to huddle together for company.

Many poems have been written about them. I set out below one by a Sung dynasty poet I like, Su Shi, together with my own translation.









山茶

游蜂掠盡粉絲黃
 落蕊猶收蜜露香
待得春風幾枝在
年來殺菽有飛霜

蘇軾


Camellias
Roving bees robbing pollen of its silky yellow                          
Falling stamen still gathering from
honey dew its bouquet            
How many branches can await the breezes of spring               There’s always flying frost killing
its seeds through the years


 Su Shi  (tr. El Zorro)





10 則留言:

  1. 很漂亮的石筆木 (Common Tutcheria),是山茶科植物,現在是開花期啊。
    [博樂回覆12/04/2012 12:24:27]係呀,
    石筆木Tutcheria championi Nakai 是學名。
    山茶好聽一點。
    [版主回覆12/04/2012 11:28:38]Thank you. But is 石筆木 its academic name? Sounds so strange to my ears. I'd much rather call it by its folk name 山茶 !.

    回覆刪除
  2. White flower in the rain is so beautiful. You took great photos!! I'm very impressed!
    [版主回覆12/04/2012 17:50:18]Thank you. Glad you enjoyed them.

    回覆刪除
  3. 「山茶相對誰來栽?細雨無人我獨來;說似與君君不見,爛紅如火雪中開。」
    [版主回覆12/04/2012 18:10:39]Thanks for this second one from Su Shi. I didn't use this one because the camellias I took are not red. Here's my translation for your enjoyment:
    Who'll grow the camellias face to face? I came in the drizzle all alone; I said it felt like you're there but you're not, leaving the fiery red to blaze in the snow!

    回覆刪除
  4. Beautiful flower with rain drop.
    [版主回覆12/04/2012 18:01:56]Thank you so much for your kind words.

    回覆刪除
  5. raindrops keep falling on the flower
    [版主回覆12/04/2012 22:32:36]You're right !

    回覆刪除
  6. I live and breathe camellias and am surrounded in abundance by different shades and species of them in the garden and indoor, not to mention the various versions of faux camélias coming from you know which haute couture de la maison!! Can't help my mind drifting off to La Dame aux camélias and La Traviata, one of my favourite operas…
    [版主回覆12/04/2012 22:41:04]You have no idea how lucky you are ! It's not easy being Dumas' La Dame aux Camélias or Verdi's heroine!

    回覆刪除
  7. The raindrops, the yellow stamina and the white petals go together so well that the elegance of the Camellias were well captured in your photos. I like your translation of Su Shi's Cameillias too! Many thanks!
    [版主回覆12/05/2012 12:12:42]Thank you so much.
    Peter helped me understand the true meaning of "年來" which improved my translation. You must thank him too.

    回覆刪除
  8. I would look nice if I place some camellias on my head.
    [版主回覆12/06/2012 15:12:40]Why not. There're plenty around still at this time of the year!

    回覆刪除
  9. 毛雨紛飛, 晶瑩剔透, 山路之上特別醒神. 正.
    [版主回覆12/06/2012 23:24:59]Yes, you're right. it was a very pleasant hike up the hill.

    回覆刪除
  10. 雨中白色山茶花,有種脫塵而出的隱逸感覺 !
    想起山茶花一傳說: 王昭君出塞時,身披雪白毛裘,懷抱一具琵琶,髮鬢簪著一朵紅艷的山茶花。琵琶可敘述思國、思君、思親的哀怨心情,山茶花則是藉它不畏霜雪的特質;來表明自己堅貞的節操。
    我還是喜歡純樸但有點高傲堅毅的白色山茶花。
    [版主回覆12/07/2012 11:14:43]As you said, the camellias are tough.

    回覆刪除