總網頁瀏覽量

2012年12月18日 星期二

Interesting Garbage (有趣的垃圾)


I am often surprised by artists who complain that they've run out of inspiration for their art. I have a great deal of sympathy for them. It's really is a source of the greatest frustration to find oneself sitting in front of a canvas or a piece of paper or a computer screen with a blank mind. Perhaps such artists have certain very specific notions about what constitutes "art' and what not. To me, art does not reside in certain objects or subject matter conventionally considered as "artistic" e.g. some flowers, landscape, peoples etc. or some particular medium in which the artists work e.g. paint, wood, steel, marble, stone, alabaster, bronze, crystal, cloth or other materials but resides more in the manner such objects, subjects etc are treated, worked on, presented etc. If so, then anything even something otherwise most trivial, uninteresting and unattractive can be so treated. What is important is to draw our attention to certain aspects in them which we would otherwise ignore and which looks to us "interesting" and which suggests some kind of "order" or balance" or "contrast" so that there would be some kind of unity in variety and some sort of variety in unity..
.

                                            
                                   

Just went to Yim Tin Chai on Sunday and found these colorful chairs piled one on top of another which look to me rather like an abstract painting.





And this colorful block of wood lying on the ground




  


      This broken bowl against the peeling paint off the wall of a deserted house







and this white wall with dusty rusted window bars
                    




These window panes with peeled off paint look to me more like so many frames of naturally formed paintings




and of course, Nature seems like an exquisite artist: always unpredictable in the way it can unwittingly create quite delicate pictures with incredible textures and patterns




This looks to me to be another abstract painting


 This looks like another one, except that in this case, the sun had a hand in it




   And here's another one crafted by Nature on man's handiwork



          and here's one in which the artificial simplicity of man contrasts with the roughness of Nature



 I like the sharpness of lines and the light and shade of this one

 

I like the "period" feel of the tiles and the window frame which contrasts with the texture of the wood right next to it. I wonder who lived in there? The sun seems about to set and it's all dark inside. What mysteries lie hidden within that darkness? What kind of family drama had taken place there at the dinner table? Where are its owners now? America? Canada? Australia? New Zealand? England? Holland? Germany? Italy" France? South America? I hasten to add that I am not suggesting in any way that I am any kind of artist. But I do enjoy art. If I have anything to do with "art" , I would like to think that I could regard myself an "artist" of life itself.

4 則留言:

  1. 也喜歡「廢墟攝影」。
    有空可看看以下攝影的廢墟,相當不錯。
    http://fotomen.cn/tag/%E5%BA%9F%E5%A2%9F/
    [版主回覆12/18/2012 16:54:48]Thank you for the information.

    回覆刪除
  2. nice pics ~ u like outdoor shooting?
    [版主回覆12/18/2012 17:55:39]thanks. I do like outdoor shooting. It provides me with physical exercises and a much needed breath of fresh air: three birds with one stone!

    回覆刪除
  3. I like the broken bowl shot for its simple composition and the harmony of tone, not loud but a touch of softness so in keeping with the mood of the ambiance. I like the telltale curve of the broken edge which somehow resembles a scorning grin against a backdrop of dilapidation. Great shot!
    [百了回覆12/19/2012 19:30:56]Beautiful pictures! I like the broken bowl too.
    It look like the one I hold in my hand when I beg alms.
    [Peter回覆12/18/2012 23:51:42]Once a piece of art is completed and exhibited, the original artist no longer has any hold to that piece of creation, construal of which is entirely up to the viewers and has nothing whatsoever to do with the artist himself even if the interpretations do not reflect the artist's original intention of creation. "Meaning" is in the eyes of the holder
    [版主回覆12/18/2012 19:40:25]Glad you like it. I didn't think of the broken edge of the bowl as a grin. I just like the shapes, the texture and the color tones of the place.

    回覆刪除
  4. You have a unique interpretation of art which is the inevitability of art. The images are strong and personal. For me art is in the mind.
    Just a little "tasty" sharing of an art form: an artist has used his faeces to make art - he eats food especially vegetables with different colours and uses the different colours of his faeces to paint! I think he fetches quite some money from the paintings!
    [版主回覆12/24/2012 09:23:41]Thanks for the clarification. I agree with you but not entirely. To me, art is an "experience", an experience in which you find a certain "esthetic" pleasure. It does not reside in the "artistic work" itself but in the very structured emotional communication between the artist and his spectator/audience via the "work of art"!
    [Gravel回覆12/22/2012 16:52:26]I see art as something that inevitably arouses one's personal interpretation of it. It may not be true but it is my personally experience. Thanks for your sharing.
    [版主回覆12/22/2012 13:24:36]I don't quite get you. Why "inevitability"? Art to me depends on the context in which it is viewed e.g. Andy Warho's "Campbell Soup".Here we must distinguish between the conception of the "artwork", the "realized art work" and the viewing or experiencing of the relevant "art work". For us as consumers, the "experience" of art is the most important. In your example, perhaps the artist wishes to literally "digest" the organic materials from Nature and transform them to his own materiasl for his uniquely personal artistic creation. If we ignore how he got his "paint", then his colorful "faeces" may be his "paints". The value of his 'artwork" may really depend on what and the manner in which he paints the form of the paintings he produces, not only how he got his "paints" unless he wishes to emphasize their very unique colors or textures which he integrates into his paintings by making them an organic part of his paintings. .

    回覆刪除